Saturday, November 8, 2008

Teaching English, Adrianna G. 2009


After arriving in Buenos Aires, with nothing but a few friends and a 3-month lease, I began a search for places to volunteer and came across Conviven. Though the one hour bus ride can be a bit tiring, the "trek" is awarded with a bustling center full of heart and energy.

I began my volunteer experience by accompanying the center on their summer trips to pools and parks. Not only did I meet other volunteers from numerous international countries, but I also met children ranging in ages from 4-15 years. Their interests in my background sparked conversations about music and impromptu English lessons, as well as the opportunity for me to learn about them and their lives. I remember fondly a young girl from Peru who had also recently moved to Buenos Aires. We shared our stories and feelings of moving to a different city.

With the start of the school year, I have been teaching English classes for the past few months, to the youngest class of students, ranging in age from 5 to 11 years old. With other volunteers helping out in the classroom, we have begun to teach these young and absorbent minds about fruits, animals, hobbies, transportation, and art. With almost no teaching experience, I have helped to feed their interests to learn English and witnessed young minds soar!

Adrianna Gluck [ New York]

No comments: